Pond life observation is the best microscope activity for students. When looking at a drop of pond water under a microscope, students are always amazed at how much life actually exists. uHandy Microscope set is easy to set up and clean up when you want to take a microscope on the road with you. With the uHandy Microscope, students can take these microscopes wherever they go because they won’t be bound by a power cord when they are exploring!
Items You Will Need
- The uHandy Microscope
- A smartphone or tablet
- A collection kit (Included in the uHandy Microscope-Teacher’s Kit and the uHandy Duet Kit)
- Pond water
- Water and 75% rubbing alcohol
- Tissue or Kimwipes
Observe pond life under the uHandy Microscope Lo-Mag Lens
- Turn on your smart device and the uHandy App, then clip the Lo-Mag Lens onto the camera lens of your smart device. You may need to manually adjust the lens until the white circle is in the center of the screen, the white circle is the visual field of the lens. (If your smart device has a case or cover, please remove it. It will improve the visual field.)
- Peel up a piece of Bubble Sampling Sticker(blue), then using the pipette add 1-2 tiny drops of pond water onto the Sample Cap (Mini Petri Dish).
- Place the Sampling Sticker back onto the Sample Cap (mini petri dish) to make a perfect seal and keep water from dripping down.
- Now you are ready to view pond life under the uHandy Microscope Lo-Mag lens.
- Remove the Sample Cap (mini-petri dish)
- Remove the Bubble Sampling Sticker(blue) from the Sample Cap(mini-petri dish)
- Rinse the Sample Cap with water and gently blotted dry with a tissue. If there are watermarks or oil on the Sample Cap, it can be gently washed with soapy water and gently blotted dry with a tissue. Do NOT scrub the cap in order to avoid scratching the surface.
Observe pond life under the uHandy Microscope Hi-Mag Lens
[SET UP]1. Install the Light Stage batteries
2. Prepare a wet mount of pond water
- Be careful not to press too hard and crack the Circular Glass Slide.
- While holding the Light Stage firmly in the palm of your hand, you can carefully adjust the Hi-Mag Lens while observing the pond life.
- Carefully remove the Sampling Sticker from the Circular Glass Slide.
- Spray 75% rubbing alcohol on a tissue or Kimwipes (if rubbing alcohol is unavailable, clean water can be a substitute)
- Gently wipe the Circular Glass Side with the tissue or Kimwipes. Stubborn oily dirt may require more than one pass, discard the tissue or Kimwipes after each use.
- Do NOT scrub the Circular Glass Slide to avoid scratching the surface. Be careful not to dislodge the silicone pad or magnets while cleaning.
If you have any questions or suggestions about this how-to article, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to your feedback.
Interested in learning more about the uHandy Microscope and how to engage students in science with the uHandy Microscope? Fill out the contact us form for a demo session!